Key Priorities for 2020-2022
The Panel has a long-term vision, and intends to support all the points in its Manifesto where its contribution can be effective.
In 2020-2022 it will work on the following priorities:
INCREASING FUNDING FOR ROAD SAFETY
Establishment of the first ever UN Road Safety Fund. This was achieved in 2018.
The HLP is working on raising funds for road safety through 2 main initiatives:
- Creation of an innovative fundraising mechanism that corporates can use to engage with their customers and raise funds for the UN Road Safety Fund.
- Promote, in cooperation with the World Bank, the first ever workshop to explore and implement impact investment opportunities for road safety projects.
REINFORCING GLOBAL GOVERNANCE AND STRENGHTENING SAFETY CULTURE
Give implementation to the HLP publication “Road safety as if it really mattered: a sea-change in thinking” launched in Stockholm (February 2020).
- Design a proposal to improve global road safety governance.
- Design tool to help private sector report on their road safety footprint, as part of the sustainable reporting.
IMPROVING VEHICLE SAFETY THROUGH THE ESTABLISHMENT OF MINIMUM SAFETY STANDARDS
Improve vehicle safety in Low and Middle Income Countries with a set of initiatives:
- Encourage key governments in Latinamerica to sign the relevant UN Conventions on vehicle safety.
- Strengthening ‘Movernos Seguros’, encouraging the uptake of minimum safety standard through car insurance policies.
- Improve safety standards of imported used cars in Africa
IMPROVING DATA COLLECTION AND POLICY DESIGN
Together with the World Bank and the ITF the HLP will strengthen the network of Regional Road Safety Observatories. This is essential to improve data collection and reinforce the policy design capabilities of national governments.